Thursday, May 1, 2008

Ben Franklin Blues


Oh my, oh my... Could you imagine being in a padded room with 100 billion 8 year- olds all trying to literally climb up the wall? I can, 'cause that it what is was like going to the Franklin Institute with my daughter's third grade class. I mean, I didn't know that kids where that excited about science. They were quite excited about the old faithful heart which was surprising to me. That thing is as least as old as I am and looks it. New exhibits like the Sports Challenge, Sir Issac's Loft, and others really got them going --and me (and other parents) after them. We are members and have seen these exhibits time and time again, but when experiencing these exhibits with 11 third graders (no kidding 11. And I must say go girl to Yolanda because she and I really held it down!) was exhilarating.

Unfortunately, if you don't have a membership or know someone that does or don't get reduced ticket prices, it gets expensive. I'm originally from New York, and when taking my children to the wonderful art, science, and history museum there--from borough to borough---I am truly grateful. See, my parents didn't have to pay enormous amounts for entry into cultural activities like those I mentioned and the borough botanical gardens, in New York you pay what you can. I think that is one of the reasons why my brother and I have such an affinity for the arts. Our parent took us regularly. Heck, my mom would just say see wants to see Water Lilies and pack us up to go. If she had to pay $10 a pop for us, I don't know if I would have developed this fondness. I don't know if we would have gone to the museums and zoos as often as we did. New York's cultural organizations enjoy a huge endowment from what I understand. It would be really cool if Philadelphia could explore the same and provide equal access to the splendor of the creative and scientific world.

Until then, Ben try not to be blue because thousands don't get a chance to see you.

4 comments:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

This happens all over the country, I am afraid. My daughter goes to basically an all black school in NC . On teacher work days the Museum of Life and Science has special science camps, but the camps are only open to members. I am always taken a back when I get there and it is mostly white and Asian kids. I don't know if we need to pony up the bucks for membership instead of the flat screen or they should make membership more affordable. NYC program is really an important initiative. Anyway. . . great blog Rha! LDB

Mango Mama said...

I felt the same way when we took the kids to see the King Tutt exhibit. Although I did see a lot of Black families, I couldn't help but wonder of all the 1,000's of kids who got to see it, how about the millions that should have seen it,but couldn't because it was cost prohibitive.

Debbie T. said...

Unfortunately for a lot of kids in Philly, most of the museums, etc. can be a hindrance on the family's budget - I know when my daughter was younger, we would try to go to the Phila. Art Museum on Sundays (you just give a monetary donation of your choice) - so both she and I got something out of it! Thanks Rha for the info!